Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Distant Thank You

I didn't even realize it was Thanksgiving till yesterday, yet this morning I found myself suddenly sentimental if not a tad homesick...

I'm thankful for all the students who've grown with me in this fascinating career. I'm thankful for the students of Greenwood who had to endure a very green and, at times, emotionally wrecked new teacher who still thought getting angry at a class was helpful. I'm thankful for the students who showed me that I'm good at what I do by showing me their growth and staying in touch with me. I'm thankful for my fellow teachers at Greenwood, who served as both close friends and mentors and held my hand through some tough situations.

I'm thankful for my family. I'm thankful I have a sister who's my best friend. I'm thankful I have a father who reminds me of why I am who I am. I'm thankful I have a grandmother who can say simple words that mean so much, like "I'm proud of you."

I'm thankful I have friends as amazing as they are. I'm thankful I have people like Izak who's never turned a deaf ear or a cold shoulder. I'm thankful I have friends like Natasha, Beth, and Joel who've stayed in touch in my absence. I'm thankful I had people like Nick in my life and I'm thankful I know DJ because of him. I'm thankful I knew Richard long enough for him to convince me I was indeed a writer.

I'm thankful for the people of the Middle Kingdom for being so respectful, warm, and only curious at their worst. I'm thankful for having met people like Lyndsey, Brian, Gary, Daniel, Reagan, Dru, Cody and all the other expats here. I'm thankful for my Chinese friends like John Laoshi, Lili, Hou Li, Jessica, Zhong Yu, Victoria and so many others for spending time with me and showing me just how wonderful and [uncomfortably] generous the Chinese can be. I'm grateful of the wonderfully random circumstances that led me to befriend Nina, who inspired me to come here.

I'm thankful for my mentors, the people who help guide me through these changing years, like Dr. Halsall, Dr. Schwam-Baird, and my father. I'm thankful for you and the other people who read my blog and keep my motivated to maintain my artistic edge. I'm thankful for my muses, all the artists - musicians, photographers, writers, and wanderers - who keep me in touch with my spiritual side and remind me of the absolute beauty of it all.

Finally, I'm deeply deeply appreciative of the staff and financial supporters of Baptist Hospital, particularly Wolfson Children's Hospital. Everything they did for Jacob, my little nephew, was an incredible feat. And today they have my full confidence as they work on Carson, my very sick little niece.

5 comments:

Gabby Girl said...

I wanted to do a blog a lot like yours . . . but know I would just feel like a copy cat.I thought it was really well done, and made me think a lot about all the things I am thankful for. BTW - how in the world do you respond via email to my comments? I can't figure it out.

Gabby Girl said...

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Trey. My meal consisted of a Hungarian Pizza, Sprite, and a game of Killer.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you, but I'm thankful for small turkeys here so that we don't have to last through weeks of turkey leftovers.

Nice blog, keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Just checking in on you Trey, my little peep who has left the nest. I'm proud of you too. Thanks for thanking me.

Anonymous said...

Just checking in on you Trey, my little peep who has left the nest. I'm proud of you too. Thanks for thanking me.