Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Thank You, America

A personal "thanks" for all of you who voted the right way. I am supremely grateful to the American people for sweeping out the trash that's been in Washington too long.

I'm not talking about the people who had ideas different than my own [admittedly, bleeding-heart liberal] leanings. American is a land with many ideas and they should all be represented in a democratic forum.

I'm talking about the overtly corrupt, inept, and horrifically partisan jackasses that put out negative campaign commercials taking the public for idiots by trying to tie their opponents to child molesters, Osama, and perhaps provide Photoshopped© images of them suckling at the man-goat hybrid teets of Satan himself. I'm talking about those that have allowed spending to go unchecked and policy unexamined for so long. I'm talking about the people who would name legislation written FOR the logging industry the "Healthy Forest Initiative."

Let's hope this new batch of freshmen Dem's do the right thing and work with the Republicans still in office to change the tone in Washington and start fixing the massive problems facing our nation.

For those who want to know just how bad things had gotten, Matt Taibbi did an excellent write-up for Rolling Stone: "Time to Go! Inside The Worst Congress Ever."

I end with this question, though: What changed? Besides Katrina and Foley, most of ineptitude and corruption were the same in 2004 as they were in 2006. According to the polls at the time, people were already getting disillusioned with the President and his party. They didn't like Bush, but they sure as hell didn't like Kerry and the Democrats enough to actually vote for them. Taking both houses of Congress was unimaginable even a year ago. What changed that?

Tags:

No comments: