Internet Cafe
This is the craziest internet "cafe" I've ever been too. Red drapes close off light. The front door is locked, you have to enter from the back. Right now, as I type, the young owner is staring over my shoulder. I don't think he can read English. Internet connectivity will be a bit more spaced now, but I'll make up for it by still writing every day and posting every other day or so. I promise to have more aesthetically pleasing pictures than the "this is my soup" and drinking pictures.
I received a Chinese name today, as well as a nick name. The Chinese have a very hard time saying "Trey" and so call me "Tree." I've resorted to drawing a bearded stick figure on the board and writing my name above and then a stick figure tree and labeling it. No help. Dru has starting calling me Big Tree, followed by a Native American "how" at times. "My brother," (as the Chinese like to call my darker skinned colleague) finds it funnier than I do.
I traded a man an English name for a Chinese name. I named him Thomas after Thomas Friedman because his name meant something like "big strong world." Mine name is.... [drumroll] Hao Qingrong, which means Strong Tree and also loosely means "very relaxed." I dig.
A welcoming present, a melon, from the staff. It came with the knife like that.
The view from the driveway of the place we're staying
You can kind of see the Great Wall in the distance on the mountain
A wall. Symbolic in some way.
The actual building we're sleeping and teaching.
Tags: Treyopia China Stories Life Tianjin Jixian Photography Students Teaching
4 comments:
Hey hey big ol' Trey, or should I say Hao Qingrong. Have you taught them how to say "The Trizzle" yet? Your comments on educational skitishness, i.e. fear of individuality, self expression, etc. are not unlike the students I taught English to in Nicaragua. There the idea was "yes, the teacher invariably knows more than me and I really have nothing to contribute"....also, there is a great sense of shame in saying something, anything that might be construed as out of place. And Nicaragua isn't even a Maoist country. Best of luck navigating that. If we ever have travel blogs do we just submit them to you via these comment sheets? Glad to see Treyopia up and running.
Love and big sloppy man hugs,
Jesse
Hey Trey,
Check that name. "Hao" most commonly means good [see http://www.mandarintools.com/cgi-bin/wordlook.pl?word=hao&searchtype=pinyin&where=whole&audio=on ] But I cannot track down Qingrong (prounounced "Chin Grong" no?}.
I love the blog so far.
hey big tree,
man the blog is giving me a great window into your life now..keep up the fun and games
Trey; this is Erick. I love living vicariously through you. This is very interesting. Take care..
Post a Comment